Can A Gif Work Better Than Words?

GIF from Giphy.com

Ahh, Graphics Interchange Format. Mainly known as a GIF, you’ve probably received a couple in your life time. Invented in 1987, GIF earned a ‘word of the year’ award. Texters everywhere were referring to GIFs as a third language, instead of emojis. So, do they work better than words if they’re so popular? Why are they even so popular?

I believe that GIFs are great for those who may dislike talking, are lazy, or have Social Anxiety. Yet, what do others think they are good for? Since I am NOT a huge texter, I prefer words. I’m sure if you had more experience texting, if that is even a thing, you would be grateful for GIFs.

Contrary to the fact that I use words more than a GIF, I believe that GIFs are more beneficial and work better than words. In the world of digital communication, statements can be misread or understood all the time. That isn’t going to happen with GIFs because of the moving image’s expression or ‘story’.

If you read this article, you can get professional writers’ points of view in a way like many others. The author tells the story of Ms. Dikeou‘s experience with the moving story telling pictures. She uses GIFs to say things to others that she didn’t feel comfortable writing. “I’m able to express these really complex emotions in the span of two seconds,” said Ms. Dikeou. She wasn’t using GIFS until October of 2015.

You’ve heard my POV, what’s yours? Make sure you check out New York Times to see where I get post ideas!